Sunday, June 15, 2008

My passion is for mums

I have been pondering the vision I feel and thought it may pay to write it down.
I have a real passion for mums.
In today's society we are sent so many messages about how we should be mums/wives/homemakers. We are told how our house should look, how we should dress and conduct our selves. We are told we can have it all the top job, the family the nice home. But how are the mums really coping. I have been finding that mums are struggling they are trying to be "super mums". I use to really struggle and prob still do a bit on how I am as a mother do I do everything I am suppose to. Is my house shiny clean all the time. (no) My husband said to me once when I was complaining on what a failure I was and look how so and so has it all together. He wisely pointed out that the other ladies probably also run around the house like a mad thing cleaning up before I come around.

With our society changing and people moving further and further away from their family and support networks more and more mums are being isolated.

My passion is to support mums by providing friendship, information, resources, contacts and support to help enable them to be the best mums they can be. I want to see mums grow in their walk with the lord, I want to see mums come to know Jesus. I want to see the "super mums" walls broken down so mums can enjoy being mums and enjoy their children. This means that I have to be open and honest and share my struggles and failings. What will our children remember about us will they remember the house always being clean and mum always busy or will they remember that mum sat and listened to me and spent time with me.
Don't get me wrong I don't think we should be slobs and let everything be. Yes we need to be organised and we need to do our housework but we need balance.

I remember after having my third child a lovely lady shared a story with me that really helped me through the year. To give you some background I have 3 Children the eldest is about to turn 6 and the other two are 13mths apart. So I had just had the latest baby and she was a difficult baby, reflux, club feet etc... (I had not told anyone how tough this baby was) This dear lady took me aside one day and shared a story about her 2 children she had 2 about 15mths apart. She told me how one day they had been so clingy and whiny they were hanging off her following her, you get the picture. Sometime in the day she really had to go to the toilet but the children were being so difficult that she just slid down the kitchen cupboards and sat on the floor wet herself and cried. That story really carried me through every day until my youngest was about 14mths at the end of the day I was so exhausted I would think I did not wet myself today it was not so bad. Now this lady was someone who I looked up (and still do) to she always is well dressed and looks like she has it all together and that her life was perfect and she never would wet herself and cry.

I will be thinking more on this and adding more information and tools and insights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i encourage you to stick this out.this passion of yours. you have helped me so much with little things and i only hope i can repay the favour one day. i have a simmilar vision for mums but i don't know where to start as i feel like a failure most days i find it hard to believe i could do anything but encourage others that they are not alone.
good luck and keep it up.